Sunday, August 4, 2013

Just One Damned Thing After Another


Just One Damned Thing After Another
by Jodi Taylor

A story of History, time-travel, love, friendship and tea. 

Meet the disaster-magnets at the St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around History, observing, documenting, drinking tea and, if possible, not dying.

Follow the catastrophe-curve from 11th Century London to World War 1 and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria.

Discover History - The New Sex!







*****
5 Gleaming Stars


I picked up this book for two reasons. First the title made me chuckle to myself and second what at a quick glance was a cup of coffee, though I know better now that it is a cup of tea. I didn't even read the synopsis, I just clicked download and moved on looking for other little tid bits. At about 10 pm last night I cracked open my kindle and shuffled threw those tid bits and set myself to read this oh so very wonderful book. I haven't slept yet (its about 4 in the afternoon now and you will have to excuse me if I ramble, I get like that when I'm over tired and hyped up at the same time), my kindle died in the middle of a very exciting paragraph ( I threw a minor tantrum at that) and I have consumed way to my caffeine (this is something that is actually pretty normal), all because I just couldn't get enough.

I should have known before I even started the first chapter I was going to like everything about it. Jodi Taylor had just one thing to say, "I made all this up. Historians and physicists - please do not spit on me in the street." I got pulled in and wasn't let go until my eyes just about bled from being open for much to long.

I barely even know where to start, Max is just the kind of person I would want to be around all the time. She cracked me up just about all the time. She was perfect and perfectly flawed at the same time, she seemed real, someone I could look up and then possible stalk. There is not one thing I didn't like about her.

The story build up, the cleverly left hits that you notice but think nothing of until they all link together to expose the bigger picture. I didn't even care that the time travel wasn't explained, I didn't want to know how it work I just wanted them to hurry up and do their thing and entertain me.

Just about anyone could be satisfied reading this book. There is romance, mystery, action, comedy, tragedy, science fiction stuff, fantasy, and even horror. This book could fall under all of those categories and be comfortable while sipping a nice cup of tea. The emotional spectrum is just as broad as well. You feel everything that Max goes through all the ups and downs.

The plot itself was brilliant there are so many different story arcs, one would end for another to begin. And when the end finally snuck up on me I felt like I had read a series instead of just one book and I wanted more so much more, but at the same time was happy with the way it let you go. There are no cliffhangers, no unfinished business, everything is wrapped up neatly. The story itself is so good that you don't need any of those things to want more.

Would I recommend this book? Yes Yes and Yes! I will be closely following Jodi Taylor ready to pounce on the next book she releases out to the teeming masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...