Saturday, August 3, 2013

Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles #2)


Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles #2)
by T.L. Shreffler

Sora is having visions. Strange, terrifying visions brought on by her Cat's Eye necklace, an ancient and magical device. Spurred to action, she leaves her mother's cabin to find Crash, the mysterious assassin who once changed her life. She is certain that together, they can discover what the necklace is trying to tell her.

Crash is still on the run from the dark sorcerer, Volcrian, but now a plague is spreading across the land. Volcrian's quest for vengeance has awakened something far more evil than himself; a force that could destroy the entire kingdom. Together, he and Sora must harness the power of the Cat's Eye and kill the sorcerer before it's too late....







*****
5 Stars

I fully enjoyed this book, its just as good as the first one, if not better. I really like Sora a lot more this time around. She was a little more confident in herself, though she did doubt herself at times she still stuck to her guns. I liked that she was better prepared to take care of herself as well. Not so dependant on the people around her, and more at ease with the Cat's Eye as well.

If I had to pick one thing that I didn't like about this book it would be the addition of Laina to the group. She didn't really seem to play a big role in anything thing other then getting on Sora's nerves a lot. I also never really got a feel for her either, she just seemed to be there. Though at the same time I can see how her addition helped to bring Sora and Crash closer together as well as she took up a lot of Burns attention.

I liked that we got a little more background information on Crash and better understanding as to why he is the way he is, and that we found out why Burns is traveling with him as well.

The romance, if that is what you can call it, between Sora and Crash is very refreshing as well. No one is confessing undying love to each other or anything annoying like that. Its like a slow burn with them, they get closer together at a great pace. They get angry with each other, and act like normal people that don't quite understand their feelings. I feel like I can expect so much more from them in the third book and I'm really looking forward to seeing how things unfold for them in this aspect.

Once again this book is told from a few different point of views, though it still mainly focuses on Sora. I liked being able to see the inner workings of Crashes thoughts, and to see how he was being slightly changed by Sora into a better person.

The journey itself has a clearer goal to it then the first book as well. Sora knows exactly what she has to do and where she needs to go. It isn't just them running from Volcrian, though that still plays a major role in their goals.

I also liked learning more about the Dracians. I didn't think there would be an opportunity for the races to really play a part other than just history and stories, so it was pretty neat to see more show up. Especially since they are so much fun.

I'm not to sure how I liked the ending, it felt like it could have continued on for at least an other chapter or two to close up a few loose ends to me.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, I'm really enjoying this series a lot and can't wait for book three to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...