Monday, September 15, 2014

Storm Siren

Storm Siren
by: Mary Weber


In a world at war, a slave girl's lethal curse could become one kingdom's weapon of salvation. If the curse - and the girl - can be controlled.

As a slave in the war-weary kingdom of Faelen, seventeen-year-old Nym isn't merely devoid of rights, her Elemental kind are only born male and always killed at birth - meaning, she shouldn't even exist.

Standing on the auction block beneath smoke-drenched mountains, Nym faces her fifteenth sell. But when her hood is removed and her storm-summoning killing curse revealed, Nym is snatched up by a court advisor and given a choice: be trained as the weapon Faelen needs to win the war, or be killed.

Choosing the former, Nym is unleashed into a world of politics, bizarre parties, and rumors of an evil more sinister than she's being prepared to fight . . . not to mention the handsome trainer whose dark secrets lie behind a mysterious ability to calm every lightning strike she summons. 

But what if she doesn't want to be the weapon they've all been waiting for? 

Set in a beautifully eclectic world of suspicion, super abilities, and monsters, Storm Siren is a story of power. And whoever controls that power will win.




**
2 Stars

When I came across this book I remember turning to my husband and saying "wow this book sounds interesting and it has 50+ reviews and not one of them is below three stars, I'm sure its great." Well here I come to ruin it all.

Nym was not what I was expecting. For someone that has been a slave her whole life she is pretty non slave like. I can kinda understand her attitude, a little, but dang girl has been a slave for ever and her power has not been good to her I would think she would be a little more mellow in an attempt to not flare up or build I stronger wall around her emotions. The only time she was angry for any other reason than herself was in the very beginning, then everything is all about her and what she is going through. I also feel there should have been more information on her background as well. There are just snips and pieces thrown in every now and then.

The supporting characters didn't do much for me either. Breck seemed like she could have really added a lot to the story, and how she was used against Nym you would think they were so close they were practically sisters, but really there is barely any interaction between the two of them. I didn't really know what to make of Colin, he was interesting but played off as the good friend every hero/heroine makes that always has the most profound things to say at the perfect moments even if their personality is one of someone that seems to want to have fun all the time. I can say that the romance wasn't bad, enough time pasted that it didn't smack of insta-love, which did make me happy. Though I didn't particularly like the love interest at all.

The plot itself was alright. Interesting enough, until things started happening that made me feel like I missed out on something. There should have been a little more history on Draewulf. The most I got, unless I missed something which I don't think I did, was a quick story told in a common house. Also a little more explanation on the war and why Bron was attacking would have helped a lot, other than they were so interesting in the kingdoms past them. Honestly if I had been Faelen and another kingdom was attacking to get at the ones past my border and those kingdoms weren't helping me to defend them, well damn I would make a treaty with Bron and let them have at it.

I also would have liked more information on the different animals that are mentioned and showed up. Like where they came from and why they are around. More information the the plague would have helped as well, like why it was happening and what was going on with it. Why mention it if it doesn't have anything to do with the plot.

Over all this book just wasn't what I thought it would be and I was sorely disappointed. The only reason I read it to the end was that I refused the waste the money I spent on it.

Would I recommend this book? No, everything that I liked about it didn't last past the first few chapters.

1 comment:

  1. Despite the fact that you really didn't like the book the cover is just amazing! Nice review!

    Greetings,
    Nazurka

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...