Sunday, September 22, 2013

Review: The Book of the Forsaken

The Book of the Forsaken
by Yannis Karatsioris

An ancient being, our storyteller, traps three characters in his web in order to get hold of a special book. Daniel, Cassidy and Igor are three unique individuals, considered outcasts for different reasons. They are about to meet and stick together, as coincidences and forced situations lead them to a journey all around Europe. As everyone is after the Book of the Forsaken, the coming Game is about to take place on the dark side of the moon. But there is a cost to that knowledge. Let alone to the wish to partake.










***
3 Stars

I can’t say that I loved this book, but at the same time I also didn’t hate it. I’m floating somewhere in the middle still not sure exactly what to think about everything.

I found myself pretty confused a lot of the time, being as the book is told from quite a few different point of views. This isn’t, in my opinion done very well. You get a taste for each “puppet” at the beginning of the book so I was able to figure out who was who after a while, but every now and again I was thrown through a loop as to who I was following. . .this is a pet peeve of mine so I can understand that I might be the only one out there that is would bother.

I think the thing that got me off the love boat of this book is that I felt more like the story was being dictated to me, which I understand is the point. But I personally like to feel like I’m a shadow following the different players around, with the ability to read minds at times. I like to feel like I’m part of the story, here I felt like I was being told everything and it just didn’t mash well for me.

I did find myself liking Cassidy, mainly because of the way he just gave nicknames to everyone.

Other than that it was an interesting concept, if not confusing at times and I can say that I’m not entirely sure exactly what was happening. I did also like the different powers each one of given, though had a hard time understanding how they got them.

I also really liked how it was told as different parts where everyone met up with each other. Especially in the beginning when the actions of one made things work well for another.

Would I recommend this book? I feel like this book is one that only certain people will love. Personally I can say I’m not too interested in reading more, but can see how others will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...